Frequently Asked Questions
- How will I receive payment?
You may choose to receive payment through PayPal, Venmo or by Check. During the checkout process you will be asked which method you prefer. This is also when you’ll give us all the details we need to get the cash in your hands as quickly as possible.
- What if I need to change my payment method?
Need to change your method of payment? As long as you set up an account and your books have not yet been received, no problem! Just sign into your account and choose ‘My Orders’ from the drop-down menu. Head to the ‘Payment Method’ column and select your new payment method. Fill out any additional information needed and that’s it! Remember, this is only possible if you have set up an account. If you checked out as a guest this option won’t be available to you. And once your books have been received and processing has begun, this option becomes unavailable.
- When will I receive payment?
We do our best to get the cash in your pocket as soon as possible! Shipping to us can take between 4-14 days, so get those packages in the carrier’s hands as soon as you are able. Once we receive your books, processing time usually takes 1-5 business days. During this time, we check through each book to confirm its condition. This attention to detail ensures you get a fair price for each book. After processing, it’s time to get paid! Your choice of payment method determines the rest. Electronic payment via PayPal or Venmo will be transferred according to their policies and procedures. Generally, this is an instant transfer and you should expect no wait time once payment has been sent. Payment by check will be sent through first class mail and should arrive in 3-7 business days. These time frames are general guidelines and not guarantees. We do our very best to get through books as quickly as possible, but during peak buyback times your order may take longer to process. If you set up an account during checkout, you can sign in and check the status of your order at any time.
- Why is my payment different than my quote?
Your quote reflects the condition of your books and materials as you described them. Once we receive your books, we check through each one to ensure that they are actually in the condition described. If they are in unacceptable condition, missing required supplemental materials (i.e. access codes or CDs), supplemental materials are unusable, or an incorrect version of the book was sent, then your payment will reflect that change. Your payment may also differ from your quote if shipping guidelines aren’t followed, leading to damage, missing items, or carrier surcharges (i.e. excessive weight, oversized box, using a priority mail package). All of the guidelines needed to make sure your books get here safely and without additional charges can be found by reading our shipping instructions and condition guidelines.
- How much time do I have to cash my payment check?
You have 90 calendar days from the date printed on the check to either cash or deposit the check into your account. We are unable to reissue checks for any reason after 90 days.
- I lost my check! Now what?!
You carefully packed up your books before sending them off and waited patiently for your check to arrive, now you can’t find it! We’ve all been there. As long as it is within 90 days from the original printing of the check, we can issue you a new one. Remember, we are unable to reissue checks for any reason after 90 days from the original print date.
- I chose electronic payment during checkout but received a check in the mail. What gives?
Occasionally your electronic payment will be rejected due to an error in the information provided (i.e. incorrect email). If this happens, we will send a check to the address provided.
- Why haven’t I received my payment?
If you haven’t received your payment, there are several possible reasons:
- Your check was lost in the mail. Please allow 2 weeks from the date payment was issued before contacting us. Your check may just be held up at the local post office and will arrive soon! If you still haven’t received your check after 2 weeks, please contact us. We will investigate the situation and reissue a check if needed. Remember that we are unable to reissue checks for any reason after 90 days, so please contact us if your check hasn’t arrived after 2-3 weeks.
- Your order was deemed not payable due to customer error. If your books are in unacceptable condition, missing required supplemental materials (i.e. access codes or CDs), supplemental materials are unusable, or an incorrect version of the book was sent, no payment will be issued and your items will be recycled. Similarly, if packing instructions aren’t followed and the materials are damaged as a result, payment will be reduced/not issued and the items will be recycled.
- Your order was lost in the mail and not delivered to our warehouse. You can check the tracking number provided during checkout to determine where your books are. If they have been lost by the carrier, please contact your post office (or the carrier used) to investigate. If you purchased the optional shipping insurance as recommended in our shipping instructions, contact the carrier to claim reimbursement for any lost items. We are not responsible for any items lost while in the possession of the carrier and are unable to provide reimbursement.
- Your payment information was entered incorrectly during checkout. We send payment using the information provided to us by you during the checkout process. Be sure to enter this information carefully. If payment is sent and redeemed by another individual as a result of your error, we are unable to issue repayment. Repayment can only be issued if the individual returns the payment made in error.
- Our terms and conditions were violated. You can read through our terms and conditions here.
- I don’t have access to a printer. Am I still able to sell to you?
Of course! During the checkout process, please select “I would like to pay for my own shipping”. You will be required to pay for your own shipping with your preferred carrier (USPS Media Mail service is recommended as it is cheapest). As always, we highly recommend purchasing the optional shipping insurance. After finishing the checkout process, write the order ID from the provided packing slip and place it in the package with your materials. Then send your package to the mailing address provided. Remember that many local and college libraries offer free or low-cost printing if you don’t have access to a printer of your own!
- I can’t check out OR my shipping label won’t print. What now?
If you’re having an issue like this with the website, chances are other people are experiencing the same. Contact us right away with the subject line “Website Error” and we will get to work solving the problem! We will contact you as soon as it has been resolved so you can complete the checkout process.
- How will I know if/when my books have been delivered to your warehouse?
If you created an account during the checkout process, you will be able to view your tracking information at any time. Just log into your account and click the “My Orders” tab. If you purchased your own shipping separately, use the tracking number provided to you by your carrier. An e-mail confirmation will also be sent to you upon receipt of your package.
*Please note: If it has been longer than 14 days since you dropped your package off with the carrier and the package has not been delivered, follow up with the carrier to see if the package was lost in the mail. If this has occurred, please contact your post office to investigate and claim reimbursement with any optional shipping insurance purchased. We are unable to provide reimbursement for orders that have gone missing while in the possession of package carriers.
- How should I pack my books?
For all the details on how to ensure that your books make it to us safely, please read our shipping instructions.
- How can I reprint my shipping label or packing slip?
If you set up an account, login and choose “My Orders” from the dropdown menu located on the top right-hand side of the page. There you will find all documents available. You can also find these documents in the confirmation email that was sent to you after checkout if you checked out as guest. If you checked out as a guest and cannot find the confirmation email that was sent to you, contact us so we can resend it.
- How long do I have to ship my package?
Your package must be postmarked within 5 days of the order submission.
- What if my package is postmarked after the shipping deadline?
Your items will still be received and processed in the same manner, but the price we pay for them will be based on the price listed on the website the day they are checked in. A delay in shipping could mean a change in what we pay versus what you were initially quoted. However, we will always work to get you the best price available!
- What carrier do you use for prepaid shipping?
For most orders we use the United States Postal Service (USPS). Larger orders may ship through UPS or FedEx Ground.
- What books and items do you accept?
There are a number of items that we’ll take off your hands. We purchase all of the following:
- Access codes
- Laboratory manuals
- Solution manuals
- Instructor’s editions (We do not accept Annotated Instructor Editions unless the ISBN for the Annotated Edition is used to search for the book)
- Items marked “not for resale”
- Where can I find the ISBN?
You can typically find the ISBN printed right on the back cover of the item. It is a 13-digit number and will almost always begin with ‘978’. Numbers that start with ‘290’ or the letter ‘X’ are generally used for inventory storage purposes and will not bring up any book information. Please note that some instructor’s editions do not include an ISBN on the cover. In this case, you may need to use the student edition ISBN. You can find this on the copyright page.
- Do you buy looseleaf versions?
Yes! As long as all pages are included. The prices that are quoted are for new condition only. New condition means the book is sealed in the manufacturer’s shrink-wrap (small tears are ok). If the shrink-wrap is opened, please select “Acceptable” condition for accurate pricing. We do not make exceptions for these guidelines.
- My book is in pretty bad condition. Will you still accept it?
We do still take books even when they aren’t in ideal condition. Books with excessive highlighting or writing, heavy cover wear, minimal staining, or minor water damage will be accepted, but you will most likely see a payment lower than your quoted amount. These books are often still sellable and we will do our best to give you the most value for your items. However, if your items have missing pages, mold, excessive water damage, smoke damage, heavy odor, pages that are stuck together, or a cover that is sticky, missing, or beyond repair you will not receive payment for the item. These items will be recycled and cannot be returned to you.
- I changed my mind. Can I get my book back?
Unfortunately, we are unable to return your items if you change your mind.
- What happens if you don’t receive my shipment?
If you use one of our prepaid labels, we will do our best to help locate your items. Once found and delivered to our facility, we will process them and send payment as usual. If we are unable to locate your shipment, please contact your carrier to resolve the matter. They will help you track your package and determine the cause of any delay. If you purchased the recommended optional shipping insurance, you will receive reimbursement from the carrier for lost or damaged items. We are unable to take responsibility for packages lost or damaged during transit.
- Will you accept books/items not listed on your site?
If you have a large quantity of items that you know have value, please contact us. Please be aware that solicitation or attempted sale of counterfeit books will be reported to the proper authorities and all copyright holders.
- What items are not acceptable for sale?
Items that are not acceptable for sale include: any items that are counterfeit, that do not meet our condition guidelines, and/or are illegally obtained. We reserve the right to delay or deny payment if we suspect any of these situations. For larger quantities of the same title, we recommend providing us with proof of purchase, invoices, and/or certificate of resale. Please contact us in advance if you’re interested in selling a large quantity of the same title.
- Do you purchase Instructor’s Editions?
We sure do! Please note that an Annotated Instructor’s Edition (AIE) is not the same as an Instructor’s Edition. AIE’s include answers and/or teaching notes, therefore are not intended for student use. They have a greatly reduced price or no value. Do not send an AIE unless pricing information specifically shows up by using the AIE ISBN for the title in question. Using a Student Edition ISBN and then selecting “Instructor Edition” will not indicate we are purchasing the title in question and will likely receive no payment. If you have multiple quantities of AIE’s and we are not accepting them or are unsure if your book is an AIE, please contact us to verify.
As a general rule, we will not be interested in an AIE unless it is a newly released title and the copyright date is the current or future calendar year. We will not accept English or composition titles.
- What is an Instructor’s Edition?
An Instructor Edition is a book that is sent to educators for review purposes. They will have a marking on the cover indicating one of the following: Instructor’s Edition, Instructor Review Copy, Examination Copy, Not for Resale, or Evaluation Copy. There may also be a “Used” sticker covering these markings. Generally, these stickers are green with a recycling symbol.
- What is your return policy?
Unfortunately, we do not provide returns at this time. We are unable to return books for any reason. If a book arrives at our facility and is determined to have zero value, it will be recycled and not returned to you.
- Do you purchase International Editions?
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to accept International Editions.
- How long is my quote valid?
We ask that you ship your order within 7 days of completing the checkout process. As long as you have met this deadline and shipped your order out within the 7 day period, your quote will be valid upon arrival at our warehouse. If you ship your order after the 7 day shipping deadline we will still accept your books, but we cannot guarantee you will receive the original amount quoted for your materials. As always, we will do our best to get you the most for your books. Remember to get those books shipped right away to guarantee your quote will still be valid!
- Will you purchase my books if I live outside of the United States?
Yes! However, all international customers must provide their own postage and shipping to the address provided. Please be sure to include a packing slip along with your order. All international payments will be made through electronic methods. Paper checks are not able to be sent internationally. Be sure you enter the information for your electronic payment carefully to ensure accuracy!
- Who can I contact with additional questions?
If you have any further questions, please contact us and we will respond as quickly as possible.